Thursday, October 29, 2009

Now that's a monkey!


I went with Miss Tracy to the grocery store last night. I was just telling her how excited I was to spend my first Halloween here when bam! Excuse me! Pardon me! Coming through! Right up here! May I? Thank you!

And then there was a big....and I mean big...sock monkey sitting in our cart. And he came home with us too! But first he told us exactly which bags of Halloween candy we should get and talked us into buying a chocolate cake as well. (I didn't really need convincing; it was Miss Tracy who was hesitant.)

Pep--short for Peppermint Twist works for The Big Guy--Santa. I thought Santa made all the toys and gifts at his workshop at the North Pole but Pep tells me they outsource. Too many people, too many requests. I had noticed some of my gifts said "made in China." I guess Santa still hand makes some special gifts but a lot come from special consignment.

Pep works as a gift broker. He spends his days on the computer looking for the best deals on the hottest gift ideas. He says it's an important if little known part of Santa's operations. Apparently, there are thousands of these sock monkeys, working all over the world, just like Pep.

Anyway, he's moved in so I guess it's not just bears here at the commune. I think we'll all have fun together though. Okay, I'm off to check out the book shelf for a new mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment